Thursday 28 July 2011

Thing 7 - Face-to-face networks and professional organisations

CILIP - I am a member and find their various publications interesting. I am chartering and have attended two chartership events which were motivating and helped to clarify the process. I see there are various special interest groups and there in I might try to participate more.

I have worked in regional NHS librarian groups, that is two SIGs: a group for trainers of users of online medical information, and a marketing group. Both have provided motivation, being a place where professional expertise is shared, and by joining in in group endeavors the milestones along the way are targets to achieve. Basically I have learned a lot through the SIGs and would recommend them. However taking on responsibilities needs to considered carefully, given how busy we information professionals can find ourselves.

I would definitely be interested in following interests such as research in ILS, and librarianship worldwide. I think it's a question of priorities and focus.

1 comment:

  1. I have just looked at LIKE, the London Information & Knowledge Exchange. I have been to some of their events and enjoyed the eclectic nature of them. I leave their hyperlink on the right to refer to.

    ReplyDelete